Saturday, October 3, 2009

Beginnings.



My aquaponic journey started early this year when I read an article in a gardening magazine about the concept. It looked easy enough and made environmental sense to me so I investigated further. I jumped onto Murray Hallam's site and was blown away with all the info that was available. I joined a couple of forums, and met a few people and the aquaponics journey was well under way.

The price of aquaponic systems was and still is out of reach, but I rather enjoy the idea of recycling as much as possible to make a cost effective system.

After a bit of research, I finally went with 2x500lt tanks linked together, and growbeds made out of olive barrels. I picked up some silver perch and I was off!

There were a couple of silver deaths, due to lack of experience and in total I had 6 silver deaths. I was then introduced to salting the system. This got the fish back to good health and once cycled, the plants took off.

No comments:

Post a Comment