Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Big System!


The makings of the big system begins. I have 4 IBCs, 3 of which I am using for fish tanks and 1 I am using as a sump. I am designing a CHIFT PIST system (Constant Height In Fish Tank Pump In Sump Tank) with 6-8 growing beds and a NFT (Nutrient Film Technology) system to grow lettuces. After a bit of discussion with some fellow aquaponists, I am only using 1 IBC as a sump and will be using 2 olive barrels as supplementary sumps. This system will have 40 silvers, 40 trout and 40 murray cod (providing I can get a hold of them) and enough vegies plus some for the family. The other system will be fingerling raising tank and hospital tank.
First came the moving of an established japanese maple, then digging a big mummer of a hole!

Next was making the hole big enough to fit the tank in. The boys "helped" with the digging.

Next a platform over the sump with a trap door for safety and access. Tanks in place and waiting on the growbeds before starting the plumbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment